Monday, October 19, 2015

When In Rome, Dance Like the Romans


As a Dance Major, I have learned that through dance technique and dance history, this art form has opened my eyes up to other people and cultures. Last summer I had the opportunity to combine two things I love - dance and travel. I went with BYU on a Dance study abroad to Italy. We spent a lot of our time in Rome, not only seeing the ancient sites, but attending dance festivals and workshops.

Through some additional outside research, and prior knowledge from some dance history classes, I learned that dance was something that had bled over from the Greek into the Roman culture and was of great importance. Dance had a religious component to it in Roman culture and was performed at religious festivals and rites. It was used to tell stories of the gods and represent the Roman mythology. Romans believed that no part of the body should be free from religious influence. Therefore dancing was in connection to religion.

While I was on my study abroad, I was able to attend a workshop that taught us some ancient Roman dance forms. We learned movements that were connected to different parts of the Roman religion and culture. I personally have felt that dance can be a very spiritual experience in connection to my own faith and beliefs. Learning more about the beliefs of an ancient civilization through an art form as beautiful as dance, made me feel even more connected to the Roman culture than just walking around the cobble stone streets, eating pizza, and wearing an "I Heart Rome" t-shirt. I was connecting to the culture in a deeper, more spiritual, and meaningful way.

3 comments:

  1. That's really cool, Chloe. I think that dance in general is so interesting because it says something about a specific culture. It's cool that dance is different between cultures, but many cultures have dance. From Greek to Roman to today. That's a pretty universal commonality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, personally, have a next to nothing understanding of dance, but it was cool that you could use a passion you have to find that connection to Roman culture. It made me wonder what my connection will be...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the type of experience that allows you to really learn a culture, not just from a tourists experience. I've never thought of dance being a religious thing, but I guess singing is, so I don't see why expression through dance wouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete