Thursday, October 29, 2015

Personal Stories Catalog - Kapri Beus


  1. The story of my worst “food” experience on my mission- cat hair banana bread [comedy story, disgusting story].  I tell this story because it is funny and disgusting, and also proves that you don’t have to serve in a foreign country to have “foreign” experiences.
  2. The story of how I got the massive scar on my arm at a sleepover/ gymnastics party
    [injury story, accident prone story].  I tell this story because people see my scar and ask where it came from.
  3. The story of my roommate passing away our freshman year during the semester [tragedy story, value of life story].  I don’t bring this story up super often, but I tell it when relating to death of close ones and to help myself as well as others realize there is good in all things.
  4. The story of the road that led me to nursing [educational story, self-defining story].  I tell this story because people like to ask “What’s your major?” and “What made you decide that?” so, over telling it again and again, I am finally figuring out why.
  5. The story of how my sister and brother-in-law met and why their relationship is so awesome [romance story, story of patience and hope].  I often tell this story to girls who are stressed about relationships and hopeless for finding “the one”.
  6. The story of how someone else “pooped my pants” while working at a dude ranch [really disgusting story, entertaining story, story of learning to laugh].  I  tell this story to make people laugh, and to help them think of me as a funny, down to earth person.
  7. The story of running the 100m hurdles at state and losing because I lost focus of the goal [athletic story, story of focusing on our goals].  I often tell this story to help me remember that as we compare ourselves to others we lose sight of our goals and who we are; and it helps me be identified as an athlete.
  8. The story of my cancelled flight that led to opportune time with my grandpa before he died [story of family, happy memories story, story of irony].  I tell this story to remind people that everything happens for a reason.
  9. The story of unfair treatment toward me because of gender from my high school math teacher [sexist story, ridiculous story].  I think I tell this story to blame my teacher (bad, I know) and to help me remember that I really was in the right- and he the wrong.
  10. The story of almost dying in midnight moonlight white water rafting [adventure story].  I mostly tell this story so people will think I am brave and adventurous.

5 comments: