Monday, October 19, 2015

Spa: An ancient idea, a modern luxury


One thing that has always intrigued me about ancient Roman culture are their recreational activities. To have lived so many years ago, it is surprising how much they were able to invent and accomplish. I recently stumbled upon an ancient Roman recreational activity I hadn't known of before. The Romans built bathhouses. These bathing spas were communal. Men and women were typically separated, but they welcomed everyone in the city for a small fee. These bathhouses had warm baths, hot baths, and cold baths. And even a room for massages with oils. Most had a courtyard that was used for exercise. These bathhouses were a large part of Roman culture. Within the spas many business deals were sealed, exercise was common, courtships were conducted, and friends were made.
Roman baths in Bath, England.
While the ancient Roman spas and the spas of our day have their differences, some things that I enjoy are, warm showers, exercise, steam rooms, social gatherings, massages, and making friends. The co-ed spas don't seem very attractive to me, but I think that if I were to have lived in ancient Rome, these bathhouses would have been some of my favorite places. Especially considering the fact that steam rooms are already some of my favorite places to be. The recreational activities the ancient Romans enjoyed are always surprising.

6 comments:

  1. Regardless of our differences, whether you lived in the days of ancient Rome, or in today's society, one thing is the same - nothing beats a relaxing day at the spa, or ending a long day with a warm bath at home. I just wonder how much I would be making friends while I am enjoying my spa day.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy warm swirling water (That's an obscure quote from an episode of House, MD that I haven't been able to forget). I, like you, have to respect the ability of the Romans to actually design and construct spas with hot, warm, and cold water baths. I'm not sure that I could do that today with all the information and tech I have available to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the opportunity to go see these baths in England two summers ago. I thought it was cool how many different baths there where in there. There was this one pictured and some back in caves and stuff. It was also interesting how they thought the water was medicinal, as we talked about in class. (We tasted it and it was gross...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Korea, this exact same system exists. Once you get over how surreal the whole experience is, it's one of the most stress-relieving activities out there. The Romans knew what was up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Korea, this exact same system exists. Once you get over how surreal the whole experience is, it's one of the most stress-relieving activities out there. The Romans knew what was up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as I love a good relaxing bath, It's a little off-putting to me that this was such a social situation! It's so different in our society today--I mean, think of the sauna's at public gyms. Everyone just avoids eye contact. I wonder what that says about our society in relation to the Roman world?

    ReplyDelete