Monday, October 19, 2015

Comfortable in a Food Coma

Growing up, it was always important to my mother that we all eat dinner together at the table every night (if possible). She encouraged us kids to sit up straight, have our feet on the floor, and keep our elbows by our sides. I'm really grateful for my mom's gentle and persistent manners lessons, and I certainly use them. However, if you find me at my apartment, I will probably be eating and I will probably be laying on the couch with a textbook on my stomach.

The ancient Romans had a different view on proper eating position than my mother. The wealthy/elite Romans tended to eat in reclined position, laying on one side with a low table in front of them. This reclined position was especially popular in formal feasts and other events. Unsurprisingly, this fashionable way of eating was emulated by the lower classes.

There are several different trains of speculation with regard to why the Romans ate this way. Some historians and scientists believe that laying on one side to eat relieved the pressure on the stomach and intestines--especially during the massive, lavish Roman feasts. Others believe it was just a popular trend or way of life.

Thanks to the Romans, it's socially acceptable...at least in college...for me to lay on the floor eating pasta and reading Harry Potter. Hey, it's good for my intestine--right?

3 comments:

  1. It does feel good to lay down after a long day and snack on something good, but I'm extremely grateful that our advances in nutritional science have told us that we can't digest food properly if we are laying sideways. I wonder how often the elite greeks got sick?? or maybe they ate in a special way that prevented it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that it was still proper to eat this way.
    This makes me wonder if they had proper side laying etiquette, like you have to lay on the right side and eat with your left hand Andy your ankles crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I mentioned this too in my post! Check it out :) I used the same picture and everything. I thought it was funny, but also really interesting because food is such a huge part of any culture. Humans always get together to eat and socialize.

    ReplyDelete