Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Storytelling in ESL Teaching

Foreword

Telling stories while teaching English as a second language is crucial because it helps the students understand situations in which they need to use English, and what will happen if they use the word, grammar form, phrase, etc. correctly or incorrectly. In a way, storytelling is an example of real life that will help the students understand how to use English in a given setting or situation. Storytelling happens in the classroom while teaching, or the students themselves perform stories of their own that will help them understand words/grammar/phrases/situations better so that when a real life situation comes, they will be prepared.

I made up this example based on the fact that the person teaching needs to teach the correct meaning to a certain phrase.

Example Story

A teacher teaches an intermediate-level English class the phrase “the apple does not fall far from the tree,” by telling a story about a real-life situation.

Soo Hyun, a student of an English class situated in his hometown, Seoul, just came out of class. His American English teacher just taught the class the phrase “the apple does not fall far from a tree,” and he was ready to practice it with his American buddy Dave. He talks with Dave on the phone, and Dave tells him, “I am studying economics, just like my dad did when he was in college.” Soo Hyun says, “Wow, the apple does not fall far from the tree!” Dave then says, “Yes, my dad and I have very similar interests.”

Analysis

This is an example of how a student learns a phrase, and then applies it to real life, showing that they learned from the teacher. When given in a class setting, it shows the students what the phrase means based on the dialogue, and shows the proper way to use it when speaking with another person.

Image result for teaching english abroad

Retelling the story

A teacher teaches the phrase “the apple does not fall far from a tree” to students in their first English class.

There was this man named Soo Hyun. He calls his American friend Dave, and asks him, “How is college?” Dave says to him, “Great! I am studying economics, and it is really hard.” Soo Hyun asks him, “Why are you studying it when you think it is hard?” Dave says, “Because I love it! My father studied it when he was in college, actually.” Soo Hyun says, “Wow, the apple does not fall far from the tree!” Dave says, "Yes, I like the same things as my dad."



I simplified this story and took out a lot of the detail because this it is being told at a beginning level, using words and phrases that an audience with little English experience would understand. Also, I added more dialogue to the audience could see a broader example of how the phrase is used. When given in an actual teaching setting, the teacher would give further explanation of the story, asking the students for understanding.

3 comments:

  1. When I was learning Spanish on my mission stories were the most effective ways for me to learn grammar and vocabulary. As you said, the simpler stories always held more weight, especially at the beginning of my mission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the approach of your retelling the story. Already putting teaching into practice. I'm sure there are a lot of similar opportunities in an ESL classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this is one of the most difficult concepts to teach foreigners. While it's easier to learn grammar in books, certain expressions are often better learned verbally so that they know the correct context.

    ReplyDelete