Friday, October 30, 2015

Personal Stories Catalog - Alec Hammond

1.) Story of getting arrested for throwing "works bombs" [mistake story, story about maturity] I often tell this story while reminiscing with friends about dumb teenage mistakes.

2.) Story of fighting for my fiancé [love story, dedication story] I tell this story to show that those things that require the most work are often the most rewarding.

3.) Story of seeing murder on my mission in Mexico [perspective story, compassion story, gratitude story] When people rant about "first world problems", I find myself retelling this story (or stories).

4.) Story of deciding to come to BYU [faith story, decision story]  When people ask for advice about major decisions, I usually share this story to show that life works itself out.

5.) Story of spending countless hours trying to build a robot arm, only to watch it disintegrate the day it was due [diligence story, journey matters most story, experience story] I relate this story to emphasize how much more important an experience can be over an end result.

6.) Story of when I looked up at night and finally realized the size and significance of the universe [spiritual story, pivotal moment story, greater purpose story] I feel like I share this story to illustrate finding purpose and meaning in life.

7.) Story of the street beggar who offered me food [compassion story, empathy story, service story]  When people struggle to share what they have with those who don't have, I share this story.

8.) Story of me, throwing up in my dad's ear as a kid [parenting story, reminiscing story, gross story] I tell this story to explain why I no longer eat Cheetos.

9.) Story of me breaking my sister's leg [forgiveness story, family story,] I share this to show that mistakes happen, but we can always reconcile.

10.) Story of me almost killing my best friend on our go-cart [friend story, scary story]  I usually tell this story to show the power of friendship (he forgave me).

4 comments: