Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Personal Stories Catalog - Kevin Dorman

1. The story of speaking at Martin's Cove as part of a ward trek [spiritual story, testimony building story].  I tell this when talking about spiritual experiences or visiting church historical sites.

2. The story of not making the basketball team [sports story, story about learning what really matters].  I usually tell this story as an example of how I overcame a setback or learned that sports aren't everything.

3. The story of letting my companion cut my hair [story of forgiveness, story of no hair, funny story].  I find myself telling this story whenever a buddy goes to get a haircut.  It usually makes them nervous.

4. The story of throwing a no-hitter during summer baseball [sports story, once in a lifetime story].  I usually tell this story when engaged in a testosterone-fueled conversation about favorite, personal sports accomplishments.  

5. The story of giving an impromptu speech in a high school class that fooled everyone [funny story, story of mirroring what my dad taught me].  I tell this story to demonstrate my clever and witty nature. 

6. The story of being the chief suspect for a local robbery [story of my first encounter with the law, story of giving my mom a heart attack, story of misunderstanding].  I usually tell this story when the topic of run-ins with the law comes up or when I see flashing lights.

7. The story of graduating early from high school and being the first eighteen-year-old in my mission [mission story, story about making decisions, story about no regrets].  I usually tell this story when the topic of high school graduation comes up because I was in the MTC during mine.

8. The story of trying out for high school choir under the pressure of a girl I was fond of, only to have her be the one get cut [story of immaturity, story of young love].  I tell this story to point out the frustration of trying to pursue a relationship.

9. The story of hitting a half-court shot while wearing a pink snowsuit in front of the whole junior high in an assembly as part of a dance routine to help my friend run for student government [10 seconds of fame story, funny story, story of dumb luck].  I had to tell this story a lot in high school because people would always ask me about it.  "Remember when you..."

10. The multiple stories that contribute to why my teeth are fake [baseball story, mission story, chicken leg story].  I tell this story when people ask why my teeth are different colors.

5 comments: