Friday, October 23, 2015

Communication and Persuasion in Economics

I have to compliment Ben in his post because he practically took the words out of my mouth. What he had to share about communicating effectively to those who are not a software programmer made a lot of sense for my field as well.

Many times when I tell people that I am studying economics, people are unsure what that means. All they ever hear about regarding that field is whether or not the economy is doing well... This is not really what I study, although it is a small part of it. That is one of the main reasons I chose to go into this field, because it is a completely new way of thinking, which can be hard to explain to others.

My studies have helped me learn how to allocate the scarce resources (physical or intangible) in order to bring the greatest amount of benefit to humans. Why is communication then important for this? You see, each one of us has a different view of what is the best way to maximize the satisfaction we require. That is why there are so many presidential debates about so many economic topics.
I just had to....
Persuasion is crucial to these kinds of discussions, because frankly some people have better ideas than others. While another individual may know nothing about GDP. These are important topics that we should be aware of, and in my field we study them, and try to make it easier to understand. 
If an economist doesn't know how to communicate his knowledge to others, it will make no difference what kind of research he has done, because he can't communicate to others. As I read in Alexis's post I thought of something that I feel is true. If we were all better able and willing to communicate in this world many of the problems faced in this world would be resolved. That is why I love economics.

4 comments:

  1. In all honesty, I was on of those people who thought that people who study economics just focus on whether the economy is doing "well" or not. You cleared up my understanding in what the study of economics is all about. From what I understand now, economists use a great deal of persuasion and rhetorical tactics because they are trying to relay to the state, country, community, etc., what would be best for it. If economists did not have that power of persuasion, the economy may be in a slum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really understand much about economics. It has always been confusing to me and I'm sure confusing for most of the general public. Communication does seem like it is really important because economists need to find the best way to most effectively and efficiently explain their ideas and research, so that other economists can understand, and also the general public, and people like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Chloe! I am an Economics Major like Isaac and what you explained is exactly what I wrote my post on! Check it out! Isaac I appreciate how you were able to explain simple what Economics is because I struggle to do it! as far as Persuasion goes, I get frustrated when politicians use economics to persuade mostly because I know that a majority of people don't really understand what they are really saying and it seems like they use it as a tool to misinform just like a sophist would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem like the right guy for the job, meaning you know something about it. Communication gets harder or easier to pull off depending on who you have to deal with. A lot of persuasion involved in this too, I'd think

    ReplyDelete