Thursday, October 29, 2015

Personal Stories Catalog- Kotahi Tarawhiti

1. The story of how my family ended up in America [major life change story, culture shock story, story that inspires dependence on personal revelation]. I tell this story mostly so people know that I haven't grown up in America my whole life, and how growing up in another country has had a huge impact on who i've become.

2. The story of how I got my name and how it has effected the way I've grown up [identity story, personal meaning story, connecting to Maori culture]. This story is usually told when people ask why such a light skinned girl like me got such an exotic name.

3. The story of how and where my parents met and were married [ma & pa story, family basis, mix of cultures story]. This story is usually the product of the question: "So, your dad is Polynesian and your mother is American... how'd you come out so white?"

4. The story about how after four years of the not-so-greatest high school experience I decided to speak at graduation [ending on a good note type of story, making the best of what you got, looking for the good even when it all seems dull story]. I tell this story mainly to show that even though I didn't love high school, there were many parts I am grateful for making me who I am today.

5. The story about how I got involved with hip-hop dancing at a young age [fun story, unexpected results type of story, blessings of taking chances story]. A lot of people ask what I like to do, and when I tell them I dance they always ask what type of dancing... then it slowly leaks into me babbling about how much I love hip-hop.

6. The story about being one of two dancers that danced back-up for Lindsey Stirling during a Lakers half time show [personal goal/accomplishment story, dance story, reaching for your dreams story]. I usually tell this story when I get into conversations with people who want to know what I've done with dancing since I started. For some reason name dropping was particularly important around certain crowds I grew up dancing with (forgive me if it seems like boasting).

7. The story about how I was the opening act for Jordin Sparks when she came to Utah after her round on American Idol [explanation story, fun story, different skill sets story]. The only reason I really tell this story is because my mother loves to post old videos of me singing and people ask what some things I've done with singing have been.

8.  The story about my senior prom and awesome last minute date [funny story, immaturity story, high school probs story]. This is a fun story I always tell when a group of friends decides to talk about how immature both genders can be at times.

9. The story of my first experience walking around as a full-time missionary on the grounds of the Joseph Smith birthplace memorial [mission story, spiritually enlightening, inspirational story]. This story was particularly important to how the remainder of my mission would be determined.

10. The story of one of my converts who had a pretty big set back on a farm while trying to prepare for baptism [perseverance story, spiritual story, working towards a goal story]. This story is one I would share to help give people a better picture of what my mission was like and how strong the people were where I served.

5 comments:

  1. I vote 1 and 2
    It sounds like you have had some similar experiences as I have, which is always exciting. Even if you don't end up writing about your name, I would like to hear that one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2. i always like to hear stories about names because my name doesn't have a story. it was just really random.

    ReplyDelete