Friday, October 30, 2015

Personal Stories - Kelly Duncan

1.  The story of the harmony I observed between my peers (from all walks of life) at my international school in Chile.  [inspiration story, childhood story, life calling story] I tell this story when I am asked where I found my passion for the international world and why I want to end up in the United Nations.   

2. The story of my academic struggles in a new school and how I prevailed in the end [hard work story, success story] I return to this story not to brag but to tell of success after discipline is applied.

3. The story of when I left my contacts in my eyes for nearly two months and ended up tearing my cornea right before a family move. [non-graphic but funny story, lesson-learning story] I tell this story for entertainment because of the funny imagery of my distress.

4. The time my family fed a one-legged duck that repeatedly returned to our home in Seattle (over the span of several weeks) and how it helped me conceptualize the love of Christ [religious story, tender story, selflessness, childhood story] Because of how I adapt this story, I usually tell it in religious settings.  

5. The time I helped my roommate with cerebral palsy navigate through romantic heartache and later find a boyfriend. [compassion, heart break, relationships, love, illuminating] I tell this story to help others become aware of the discrimination we unknowingly pass to those with disabilities. I also tell this story when I offer relationship advice. 

6. The story of visiting the remarkably humble conditions that my Chilean maid, Keka, lived in and the lesson it taught me about happiness [gratitude story, changed view on life] I retell this story to myself when I find myself unappreciative or ungrateful. 

7. The story of my Mother’s parenting methods and how I was never told “remember who you are” but rather, “forget yourself” [inspiration, love, selflessness] I tell this story when I am talking about parenting practices and life lessons. I also tell this story to paint a picture of my mother to those who have never met her. 

8. The story of how a small water puddle I created in my 5th grade classroom spiraled out of control and I chose to lie and deny fault [integrity story, childhood story] I tell this story when the topic of lies come up or when people speak of regrets.

9. The story of how I shamelessly I went out in public after a nose surgery (brace, gauze, and all) because I really wanted a cheeseburger. I felt liberated however my mother and sisters found me and were absolutely mortified. [funny story, exiting one’s comfort-zone story] I tell this story for entertainment.   

10. The story of how my grandma instilled a love for horticulture within me and taught me how to talk to plants. [hobby story, multi-generational legacy story] I tell this story when someone comments on the 16 house plants I have in my apartment.

3 comments: