Monday, October 19, 2015

Remarkable Architecture

As I was growing up one of the things I wanted to be was an architect. I loved to draw and create new things. I have not yet taken the path of an architect, but I still have a fond desire of building and designing structures. I designed a set for a play at Lehi High school, and spent hours on end building this set. I enjoyed doing it so much, because when I finished I was able to sit back and look and say that I designed and built that.

The Romans were very similar. They loved architecture, and were really good at it. Not only the famous aqueducts and Colosseum but also the temple of Jupiter, and the Sanctuary of Fortuna Primigenia.
Model of the Sanctuary of Fortuna Primigenia

 They even started to experiment with concrete which was a new feat at that time. They loved to build and create new things. We are a people today that love to create new things and I think much of that can be attributed to the Romans. But as Chloe was talking about her experience in Italy with dance, I realized that there is a profound importance that comes from going to the country to understand more about them. I can study architecture online all I want, but i would need to go in person to truly experience the magnificence of the amazing things they created. They were a remarkable people.

4 comments:

  1. I agree! Visiting Rome and viewing the architecture would be an amazing experience and extremely important for a future architect. Just how any artist should visit the Louvre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how both in your example and the Romans work, architecture was less about building a functional building and more about expressing the art behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romans had great passion towards things they could do with their hands, architecture and art especially. I think that passion is harder to find nowadays! I hope you get the chance to pursue your passion when the time is right Isaac!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They truly did build great things and not only were they beautiful but they were also efficient. I was reading about the Romans and it talked about how they were more concerned then the Greeks about building things that would make like better not just big buildings. this is why they build grand roads and sewer systems.

    ReplyDelete