Saturday, October 17, 2015

Letters from Rome



The idea of written language is a fascinating one. Think of it, as you are reading this blog, ideas are being suggested to your mind. Thoughts are coming to you, maybe even a subliminal human voice, and all you are doing is looking at little black marks on a white background. Written language is a truly incredible invention, and for our modern alphabet, we can thank the Romans.

While it is true that many of our modern letters had their beginnings in the Greek language, it is Latin where they took the form that we know them today. The Romans altered Greek and made it into the letters that we read today, and then they spread it to the world. Roman conquests across France, Spain, Portugal, and Romania affected their languages forever, and the influence of Roman culture meant that even in countries where Latin didn't become the main language, the other countries of Europe adopted its letters. Through the exploits of Spanish, English, and Dutch explorers, these letters were spread to the world. It even in the far-off Pacific island nation of Kiribati, where I served my mission. Before the arrival of European explorers, Kiribati didn't have a written language, but the Latin alphabet has since become the Kiribati alphabet as well.

I, for one, am grateful for the Roman influence on our alphabet, largely because I've seen my roommate's Japanese homework and I'm super glad we can get by on only 26 letters. In this huge service, Rome has blessed my life and the lives of billions of others.

3 comments:

  1. I think your perspective on the world-wide influence of writing was enlightening. Even though I knew that writing was important, I hadn't realized its power to spread to even far off places. Great insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blogged on a similar topic: language. It is such a fascinating concept and seems so simple. But to imagine creating these forms of communication before they existed is beyond my imagination's capacity. I sometimes fantasize about inventing something as revolutionary as the written word or something else that people use everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing what the written language does for us. Like you have touched on, there are languages out there that are only spoken and not written. For me, I cannot imagine not having a written language, mainly because I am a writer, and I can express myself best through writing, not speaking.

    ReplyDelete