Thursday, October 29, 2015

Personal Stories Catalog--Katelyn Dalton

1. The Blue Brick: the story of deciding to paint my apartment. [Roommate story, silly college choices story]. I tell this story because it's funny and exemplifies the friendships I have with my roommates--and also to explain my apartment wall.

2. The story of me not making it into the private high school I applied for...when all my friends did. [Faith story, defining story, blessing-in-disguise story]. I tell this story to help when others are struggling with feelings of rejection.

3. The Goldfish Lady: the story of my brothers predicting my future love life. [Sibling story, taunting story]. I tell this story when I want to razz my brothers, and it usually gets a response of "oh, poor you!" as I laugh.

4. The story of me being alone in my house during an earthquake--and wondering if I caused it. [Instrument story, natural disaster story]. I tend to bring this story up when others are talking about natural disasters they've experienced.

5. The Marching Band Reject: a story from my freshman year of high school. [Defining story, high-school-is-rough story, courage story]. I think I tell this story because it reminds me that it's okay to be outside of the norm.

6. "We know because we have the Book of Mormon!": the story of innocent little kindergarten Katelyn. [Kindergarten story, cute story, missionary story]. I tend to tell this story when LDS people are talking about when they were little.

7. Sleepwalking, vinegar, and a violent doorknob. [ When-I-was-a-kid story, sleepwalking story, injury story]. I tell this story in part as a humorous story and partly to show the patience of my parents.

8. The Mud Flood: a story of what went wrong one day when I was babysitting. [Babysitting story, crazy kids story, messy story]. I tell this story when others are bringing up babysitting stories, and to show that disaster can strike even the most responsible babysitter.

9. Audition anxiety: the story of my personal growth as a musician and conquering a crippling fear. [Growth story, performance story]. I often get a positive and sometimes emotional response to this story.

10. Numbers and Slumbers: the story of giving out my number in my sleep. [Dating story, awkward situation story]. I tell this story when others are talking about good old BYU dating.


6 comments: