Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Everyday Conversation to Convince a Crowd

In the Funeral Oration of Pericles, many different forms of rhetoric are employed. I didn't recognize most of them when I first read it, as I was mostly focused on form and the classic appeals. After reading “Rhetoric” by Aristotle, I was able to point out a lot of other devices.
One of the devices that I found used was enthymeme. I didn't realize how incredibly common it was in normal speech! Trying to find examples of this in the text, I found some examples where major premises are kept and where they have been omitted. Take, for example, this line from Pericles: “To me it seems that the consummation which has overtaken these men shows us the meaning of manliness in its first revelation and in its final proof.” Here, the premise that courage and gallantry (which was stated several sentences previous and in a different context) is manly.

Reading this text again, I also noticed the very epideictic as well as deliberative aspects of the speech. It is epideictic in the sense that Pericles is talking to a large crowd and praising the men who fought. It is deliberative in the fact that he is exhorting future measures. He is calling the families of these
men to action- either calling to the mothers to have more children or calling to the children and men to stand up and show pride in their city by fighting as well.



Pericles also uses his own testimony to add credibility. In the first few lines he speaks about having a first-hand witness or reliable second-hand testimony of the accounts of battle. Pericles says “I have described nothing but what I either saw myself, or learned from others of whom I made careful and particular inquiry.” If this isn't a direct proof of testimony displayed, I don’t know what is!

3 comments:

  1. Great insights Casey, I was looking through for some enthymemes in his speech but i guess i read it too quickly to pick up on any. Good job! I agree with what you sadi about the dual nature of his speech being epidectic as well as deliberative. I focused more on the deliberative aspects but have sense read some posts that have helped me to see that it definitely was epideictic as well. hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with James in saying I also wasn't able to really pick up on Pericles' use of an enthymeme, but I love what you have pointed out here.I really like how you were able to figure out the syllogism that Pericles was using although in his enthymeme it wasn't explicitly stated. I was having a hard time today in class wrapping my head around the difference but your post really cleared that up for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the way you explained the deliberative oracles in this speech. I think that at this great time of pain the audience will turn to the options he gave them and that it will create a positive outlet for them. this was great timing on Pericles part to make a call for action when they want so badly to do something to honor their lost loved ones.

    ReplyDelete