Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Rome Through a Different Lens

I could not find the clip on YouTube!
This picture will have to suffice.
When I think of how Rome applies to me, mostly I think of Buster Baxter singing "COLOSSEUUUMMM!" in the kids' TV show Arthur.

But by now you're wondering how Rome really relates to my life. Well, let me tell you...

I wear glasses and contacts.

See? Glasses!
According to the infallible Wikipedia, the first recorded use of corrective eyewear was from the Roman Emperor Nero's tutor, who apparently had noticed that a glass of water magnifies the words on a page. Nero himself is said to have used an emerald to watch gladiators do their stuff.

Well, if that's true...thanks for coming up with the idea, Rome!

1 comment:

  1. That's super interesting! I didn't know they came up with glasses! I personally don't wear glasses, but I can appreciate being able to see. It's amazing that at one time, so many things that we take for granted weren't readily available.

    ReplyDelete