Friday, October 24, 2014

Communication and Persuasion in Corporate Sales

     "Corporate sales” is a field in which one must be able to express themselves and communicate their ideas in a very clear, convincing manner. Though it is similar to your everyday door to door consumer salesman, it differs in the fact that the corporate sales agent is working on a much larger scale because sales are made between two companies or large organizations. It is essential for corporate sales agents to be extremely persuasive as they are delivering sales pitches that can have influence over millions of dollars. Not to mention, they have to be capable of maintaining relations with all of the people that they possibly can in the business world to exploit networking. Those that are a part of the corporate sales world know that they must be extremely self-confident when communicating and persuading.



Due to the fact that sales are so high end and that the stakes are so high, the corporate sales setting is typically in front of many clients and colleagues in large conference rooms, offices, and even fancier restaurants.  Many people are usually involved in the decision making. Most corporate sales executives must be pristine when it comes to presenting products and displaying their potential. The people that are involved with the exchanges are usually pretty similar and have the same final goal- making their company allocate their finances in the best possible way and maximizing shareholder value in the long run. With this being said, the sales agent that is presenting a product must always be aware of the mindsets of the people sitting on the other side of the room in order to be much more persuasive. Clearly, all that corporates sales really is when it comes down to it is communication and persuasion. 



I realized that I love working very closely to people when I was serving my mission in Barcelona, Spain. In order to get old Spaniards that were born into the Catholic church to even look at you, you had to be very persuasive and at the very least grab their attention. I quickly found a true love for not only the Gospel but helping people see the light in what we shared. After arriving home, I realized that I think I would really enjoy sales. If I can get a good product that will help benefit others, I would love to go around and sell them the product so that they can see the positive benefits of it and how it will make their lives easier. 

I have found most of my information from talking to people that are involved in corporate sales. I have family and friends that are or have been involved with that kind of career and it still continues to intrigue me. When I signed up for English Rhetoric, I didn’t really think that the course would help me with my career. However, to my mistake, if I can master some of the rhetoric principles that we are taught, I will be able to be explosively persuasive. 

1 comment:

  1. I find your passion for sales inspiring. I did summer sales last year and discovered that a career in sales is not for me. But I do think that we are always selling ourselves and everybody needs some literacy in sales. Have you had any sales jobs yet? If so, what did you think?

    ReplyDelete