Monday, October 20, 2014

Roman Mosaics and I

The ancient Romans, as they did with many things, took the skill of creating mosaics and made it their own. As far as we know mosaic has been around as a skill for about 4000 years, but the Greeks transformed the skill into an art form, and the Romans expanded upon it.

See a brief history of mosaic here: http://www.thejoyofshards.co.uk/history/

 
This is an ancient Roman mosaic.

Today many people do mosaic as a hobby, I will be one of them. I have done a lot of tile work with my family whenever we do tile in construction, and I've always enjoyed the process of examining a surface, smoothing out the adhesive evenly, and then carefully laying down the tiles in the most perfect way possible. When I have the time, the resources, and a house of my own that I can experiment on, I'm going to start creating mosaics. I think that they are so entrancing to look at, but when I get to the point where I can do mosaics as a hobby, I think I'll enjoy the process of creating them just as much as the final result. Perhaps one reason that the ancient Romans did and expanded upon so many things such with art, architecture, engineering, and so forth, because they too found some enjoyment in the process of refining and creating itself. Doesn't it just feel good to create stuff?


Sorry it's so huge, just wanted you to get the full effect. This is a contemporary mosaic at the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that is beautiful!! I didn't know that ancient Romans made mosaics. When I was in Brazil I saw the temple and there was an amazing mosaic of Christ being baptized. It is interesting to see how far Roman influence travels. Rome conquered Portugal and Portugal later conquered Brazil. Cool thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are gorgeous pictures. I had no idea about the history of mosaics and their link to Rome. Hailee's comment makes a lot of sense as to why when I first looked at these pictures it made me think of art work from central or south america. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved mosaics, but I had no idea that they originated from ancient Rome! I also love creating things myself, but I have never tried mosaics. I wonder what other Roman art is not usually associated with the Romans

    ReplyDelete