Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Music & The Mind

               Over the last few semesters of my college career I have come to notice that if I listen to peaceful music as I study I am able to focus for longer periods of time [Cause/Effect]. While some of my friends and acquaintances have mentioned they agree that music helps them study in their study experience [Witnesses] others have found no such correlation [Contradictions].

Many people wear these; few people listen to him.
                According to studies done at Oxford University [Authorities] there is evidence supporting the idea that music helps to create an enhanced experience while studying. This enhanced experience was shown while subjects listened to Mozart and studied, which led to improvement of certain types of mental procedures referred to as “spatial-temporal reasoning” [Definition]. Although this seems to be a little different than what I have experienced [Division], I agree that the overall study experience is improved with music. I wonder if it was more common knowledge that by listening to music during studying you could achieve better marks in school if more people would listen to study enhancing music during their studies. Dr. Charles Eloit’s (former Harvard University president) famous saying that "Music rightly is the best mind trainer"[Maxims and Proverbs] might be enough evidence for some to be sold on the effects of music on the mind. 


                As for myself I have now found that when I don’t listen to music it actually hinders my studying ability. Because of this I plan to make music a regular part of all my studies from here on out [Past Fact/Future Fact]. Even though my love for music can almost be distracting at times [Contraries], overall music helps me in my learning process. For those reading this that might have never tried listening to some mind enhancing music, I would invite you to try it out. If you don’t you may be missing out on some better scores on exams, and more invigorating personal studies [Antecedent/Consequence].

2 comments:

  1. You make me want to try listening to music when I study.
    It could be argued that you also have possible impossible in your argument. You are stating that it is possible to study better when listening to music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Skylar! jk Spencer, I think your post was very persuasive. You didn't even have to come out and challange people to do something, rather the way that you presented the information did all the convincing that was necessary. I think I'm going to try listening to music when i study. Having taken a stats class I would be interested to know what type of study was done, if it was an experiment or an observational study...

    ReplyDelete