Tuesday, October 21, 2014

All Roads Lead to...

I was enthusiastic about connecting myself to the Romans through gymnastics because I work as a children's gymnastics coach. Then I found out that gymnastics originated in Greece...so that was a fail worthy of an epic tale.

Instead of sports, I'll talk about art. The two are close cousins, right?

Two summers ago I took an art history class and loved it. In Ancient Rome, sculpture and painting were considered high forms of art, but other mediums were also common: pottery, ivory-engravings, coins, mosaics (as Austin mentioned), and even architecture (as Thomas mentioned).
(Click here for more information)

"The main innovation of Roman painting compared
to Greek art was the development of landscapes"
But what I remember more clearly than the art history class is my mission to Santiago, Chile. There, I saw what reminded me of the Trevi fountain (see picture on Thomas's post , which serves as a well-known example of Roman sculpture and architecture. 

Neptune's Fountain in Chile, the
Trevi Fountain's relative. 

2 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with identifying Greek influences instead of Roman influences, especially when it came to mythology. I think that the Romans were not only good at spreading their own culture, but also preserving the cultures of others, like the Greeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool how the Trevi Fountain (and my post) got you thinking about the architecture of Rome. Interesting to know that there were divisions of art and that painting, along with sculpting, were considered "high art." I wonder if the classes of art are still ranked the same in today's age, or if their standings have changed...

    ReplyDelete