Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Chinese Dinner and the Romans

I had the opportunity to go to China and was treated to a traditional meal inspired by the ancient customs of honoring military leaders. I got dressed up in a fancy outfit, I was served a delicious salad made from exotic flower petals, and there was a dance performed in between the courses.

I read on pbs.org that for the Ancient Romans, “Dinners became fancier affairs when guests were invited. These dinner parties would involve many elaborate courses. Hosts would put on enormous, extravagant meals to impress their guests, often seeking out novelty dishes like ostrich or flamingo. There would often be entertainment between each course, with a literary performance after dinner.”
There were also couches for lounging in our private dining room.
I read that the Romans ate while laying on couches as well.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! I actually talked about Roman food culture also, so I referenced your post. It is interesting to me that you related to the Romans through the Chinese. Its definitely a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its realy cool how many cultures share the same types of traditions. The Chinese and the Romans, who would have thought? Its eay to focus on our differences; language, skin color, style of clothing, but if we look deeper we find that in many ways we are the same. We certainly can be drawn together if we focus on our commonalities and appreciate the differences

    ReplyDelete