Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Family Values in Rome

The Morrison Family
The ancient Rome culture highly valued family. The oldest male, like a grandfather or an uncle, was the head of the family, and the father was the head of each individual family. The father was the provider for the family, and the mother would be the one who would care for the house and finances, along with the children.
This is very similar to how my family is run today. This summer my dad's side had a family reunion where everyone except two people on missions were in attendance. Just like in ancient Rome, we all acknowledged my grandpa as the head of the family, and he exercised his authority when he would call on someone every night to say the prayer before dinner. My grandma was a perfect example of the role of woman in the family. She would prepare every meal (most of it before the reunion even started), and made sure that everyone had anything they could possibly need.

With a big family comes big messes. Everyday different families were assigned to clean up after meals and activities. The fathers of each family were responsible for making sure their families (the kids mainly) were doing their part in the cleaning process. Everyone had their specific role and everything worked out great, just like I assume they did in ancient Rome.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job tying it to today! I wonder: Where did this tradition start? I understand that it is characteristic of Roman culture, but I feel like most cultures are organized this way. Was there anything specific about the way Romans organized their families that makes it different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to see the similarities as well as differences between our lives and those of Ancient Rome. As I did some studying I came across a number of sites that spoke about some of the very different values found within the family. From my understanding (if someone found something contrary to this please let me know) from time to time there would be parents who did not want their children so they gave them away to slavery. A scary thought but nonetheless an important one to consider in how our lives differ from those of Ancient Rome.

    ReplyDelete