Monday, October 13, 2014

Figurative Language about Dogs

TROPES
Metaphor-
·         My little brother calls me German Shepherd dog “Big Horse.”
·         A dog is not a horse, but by my little brother calling her that, it shows some like characteristics that those two share- both are big animals.
Paronomasia-
·         I was deep in thought, on the train, as I determined the best way to train my dog.
·         The first “train” is a noun and mode of transportation, whereas the second “train” is a verb, meaning to teach and mold behavior.
Anthimeria-
·         The students living in off-campus housing postered the streets, announcing the rally to allow animals in student housing.
·         A poster is a noun, and putting up a poster is a verb, but in this sentence, the noun is used as a verb.
Hyperbole-
·         It’s been FOREVER since I last saw my dog!
·         Obviously, it hasn’t been forever, it’s just seemed like a very long time, since I’ve been at college and she has been at my parents’ house for the last 3 years.
 Oxymoron-
·         Sometimes when my dog sleeps, she peacefully growls.
·         A growl should be menacing and scary, but when my dog sleeps, she does it in a kind of peaceful way (not loud, no teeth showing) which is somewhat contradictory.

SCHEMES
Parallelism
·         She had brown fur and she had white fur. Now she is mostly gray.
·         “She had” is repeated and the color of her fur is stated in a way that you could easily put in a different format- in columns.
Anastrophe
·         Laying there, lazy she was.
·         The words are in a different order than they conventionally would be, emphasizing a different part.
Ellipsis
·         My beagle is small; my German shepherd thinks she is.
·         The word “small” was omitted from the second phrase, but the content is still understood that my German shepherd thinks that she is small.
Alliteration
·         My dog, Daisy, dozed in the doghouse.

·         I repeated the “d” sound several times in the sentence, closely together.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your anthimeria example! For some reason, I really struggled with this one in my post, but this helped me understand it better. So I think I know how I can go back and fix mine!

    ReplyDelete