Tuesday, October 21, 2014

STOP! In the Name of the LAW!

Roman citizens were very interested in law. Like we talked about in class, at this time, Romans were interested in making it a written law to create order and to minimize the amount of corruption and arbitrary application of laws.



This topic really interested me because I work at the Utah State Prison in Draper, at the point of the mountain. I get to see the real-life implementation of laws and get a better understanding about the importance of set, written laws. It creates equal and ethical treatment of all people.

2 comments:

  1. Cool stuff. I'm a TA for Sociology 111, and this reminds me of our recent unit on crime and deviation. I wonder what percentage of, say, plebeians vs. patricians were prosecuted, and if the written laws really helped make a difference in the equal implementation of laws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool that you got to work at an actual prison this summer. My grandpa was a warden for many of the California prisons and my mom would always tell us stories about growing up on the prison grounds. It would be cool to go inside and see what it really is like, and not just hear horror stories from the news.

    ReplyDelete