Tuesday, October 21, 2014

M-theroman-E (The Roman in Me)

I was interested to learn that games were actually a big part of what Roman children did growing up because they were a big part of my childhood also. Even poor children found time for board games and other recreational activities. Of course, given Roman culture, there was a massive gender gap. Boys played with swords, and girl played with dolls but the same could probably be said of our culture to a lesser extent. There is a list of common Roman games here as well as links to other information about Roman culture.


Ok, so we don't go THIS extravagant for
our FHE brothers...but we do our best to impress.
Also, adding a little bit to Jessie's post, while dinners with guests were an extravagant affair, most meals in Rome were actually quite simple. As a poor college student I can relate. Most of the time I have relatively simple meals but every once and a while my roommates and I will all pitch in for a Sunday meal and we will invite one of our FHE brothers over to eat with us. It has been a lot of fun to get to know them individually, but they probably think we eat better than we actually do because whenever they are over we fix something more extravagant.

2 comments:

  1. A fun connection to the college life. I also found it interesting that there were so many board games played in ancient Rome. They played a type of checkers along with other games that we are now familiar with. This post was a really real way for me to not only learn about their pass times but really what made up their day. I think at times we forget that these people who have passed on before us lived, in many ways, like us and that we have a lot more in common than we think. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize board games were such an old concept! The more of these posts I read the more I realize that really humanity is the same throughout the generations. We all like to play games and be out doors (like Mark mentioned in his post). We like food and socializing and throughout the ages we have come up with similar ways of accomplishing these things.

    ReplyDelete