Friday, October 24, 2014

Communication and Persuasion in Translation and Localization

The modern day has become such that the world is accessible by anyone and everyone. I can talk on the phone to my sister in L.A. while at the same time look at pictures online that my friend is posting from his trip in Thailand. So many people from so many cultures are coming together, linking in both the physical world and through technology around the globe. Because of this, people are aware of that whatever they do reaches an increasingly larger audience. This is often a good thing, as it allows companies to bring their services an products to new people, as well as discover new ideas from them. But there are factors regarding culture, society, history, language and other things that hinder global innovations from reaching people. In these regards, it becomes necessary to find someone with cultural knowledge of both sides and is able to use this information in order to have both sides engage and relate effectively. That role is known as Translator/Localizer.

One of the two languages I am currently majoring in with
accompanying stereotype
Rhetoric is all about communicating and expressing your ideas in the way that you want them to be. Translation is very much a direct application of that, as its primary function is to enable a concept to be properly expressed to a people of a different culture/language. They act as a mediator between the two and become the mouthpiece as well as the speaker for both audiences. You have to know how to convey yourself appropriately so that everyone can understand, which can be difficult as many implications and cultural references are lost in translation. Communication is extremely valuable and must be kept sharp like a sword as to be as efficient as possible.

A translator gains his clients based on his studies and experience with the language. More experience means more ethos, which allows a translator to get more jobs and continue to improve their skill. Jobs can range over a myriad of instances. We often think of a translator being present for the translation, perhaps at a restaurant or office. However, there are many other methods used as well. Programs and online apps are used for simple, quick translation, while translation companies will use the internet as the medium to speak with clients. Some translation that is often unmentioned is when books, movies and other media is translated to achieve an international audience. Foreign news and events are translated by broadcasting companies. All of these require communication, often on a more intimate level. Translators are also responsible for interaction among their peers and associates, creating a network of rhetoric that spreads across the globe.

My other major, depicted as a person
It wasn't until high school that I developed any real interest in languages. I avoided any language classes until high school where I was required to take two years of a language. I chose the most unique one my school offered (Arabic). That one small choice escalated into me studying three additional languages and serving a foreign mission where I learned a fifth language. Trying to decide what to do for a career, I went to the dean of the humanities college here on campus, Dave Waddell, who happens to also be my home ward bishop. He explained to me a lot of what I just explained to you. He helped me decide to use my love of languages to become a translator. And now I learn of rhetoric in order to use it properly and effectively in my future career.

1 comment:

  1. Until I read your post, it never even crossed my mind that there could be so many mediums for translation. It also became more clear that there is a real importance to understand the colloquialisms and figures of speech of each language in order to convey the correct meaning. It made me think of a friend that said while watching conference, he heard the speaker make a play-on-words in his language, but then when it was directly translated, didn't turn out to be funny, but rather informative. You would definitely need to be familiar with a culture as well as language to be able to pick up on that.
    I didn't see your response to things translators would be persuaded by. I'd like to hear more about what would be persuasive, not just information about the job of a translator.

    ReplyDelete