Tuesday, January 13, 2015

A Book From A Friend

Not too long ago, I volunteered for the Google passport event here in Provo. I was assigned to help out at the Pioneer bookstore on center street. While I was there, the owner and I became friends and he asked me what kind of books I like. I told him that I'm not much of a reader because I usually get bored with books. He then snuck into the back of the store and after about a minute or two he reappeared with a book called Tuesday With Morrie in his hand. He told me that he thought I would like this book and that it was gift from him. I thanked him for the book then I went on my way.

That night, I had a hard time sleeping so I  decided to start reading the book secretly hoping that it would solve my sleeping problem. As I began to read it, I became mesmerized with the story contained within its pages. For those of you who don't know, Tuesdays With Morrie is about a terminally ill professor who share the knowledge that he has gained over his life with one of his former students.

At one point in the book the professor explains to his student that none of the materialistic things in this world matter and that the most important thing is devoting yourself to loving others. It was at this moment that I realized how true this is. I mean, I know that they teach us this stuff in church but it this was different and it gave me a desire to be more of a caring person. I'm glad that the bookstore owner gave me this book, I feel that in many ways it has changed my life.



 

2 comments:

  1. I, like you, am "not much of a reader" but I have always wanted to be. I have heard about that book but not much about it's content. After reading this post i am curious and will now look into reading Tuesdays with Morrie. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of reader as well, so I really relate to this story. In general, I have learned to love experiences where I have engaged myself in a activity that I don't normally do, and as a result, gain something that I probably wouldn't without the activity.

    ReplyDelete