Tuesday, January 27, 2015

As A Spider Over Hell

This morning I decided that I ought to read "Calvinist Jonathan Edwards Promises Hellfire and Damnation to the Sinful" before I read my scriptures (to make sure I got the post done early in the day). That was an interesting choice-- I typically feel uplifted in the mornings when I pull out my scriptures, but this religious sermon was anything but like reading a General Conference talk. Jonathan Edwards compares the saints to an awful spider that God is dangling over Hell. While the text is extremely vibrant and condemning, a deeper analysis of the text and situation sheds more light onto the situation:
First, I think the ethos plays an important role in this sermon. Jonathan Edwards was one of the most popular preachers in New England during the Great Awakening. He travelled around the colonies and gave sermons as he went. Interestingly, from what I could find out, he was a meek speaker, not one to yell or shout during his sermons. Knowing this changes the way I perceive the sermon because I initially pictured someone standing on a block of wood just yelling and cursing at the audience. 
Knowing that Jonathan Edwards was typically quiet in his sermons, I think the medium of this sermon is also important. Jonathan Edwards was likely to have given this speech orally. Therefore, while the content is condemning and filled with graphic scenes of hellfire, the oration would have most likely been a little more calming, possibly even provoking the people to change their ways. 
All of this leads to the content of the sermon. I think that the imagery is impactful because even as I read it I pictured myself swinging over a lake of fire and brimstone. I could see those listening wanting to call on God immediately to ask forgiveness and cling to His side and I think that was the goal of this sermon. Edwards seems to want the people to realize that sin is not allowed and the only thing holding them out of Hell is a string held by God. Therefore, they need to repent before the string breaks. 

3 comments:

  1. I felt the same way. I imagined him as a vicious man scowling at the crowd as he pierced them with his harsh words, but later on I tried to put myself in his place and in the place of the audience. This was a confusing time for people in regards to religion and salvation. He truly believed in repentance which is good but he didn't understand it like we do now. I realize that he was trying to help the people so my view of him is very different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tone seems to mean everything in the context of thise sermon.

    At first everyone who has read it so far began by looking at the content and formed an image of the sermon in their mind, but then, after learning how he spoke does a 180 and comes to explore the details more carefully. It seems that how one speaks is much more important than what one speaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's interesting how you discussed how the calm and quiet nature of his speaking balanced his intense content. As I thought about that, It makes sense to me your tone is both in your voice and actual content. If he wanted to get across the fact that people needed to repent and do it quick, while not wanting to offend everyone, he would need to do just what he did: balance fierce content with a calm voice.

    ReplyDelete