Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Undeterred conviction


Similar to Robert Allen, as I read through these two discourses on free will I couldn't help but think of modern day political debates. They both seem to respect one another to a certain degree, such as when Luther says, “To the Venerable Master Erasmus of Rotterdam, Martin Luther wishes Grace and Peace in Christ.” There is a sense that both of these men recognize the intellect within one another, but like in any modern day political debate they both have firm convictions which they will defend to the death. Maybe not literally to the death, but they will use everything they have such as their intelligence, the scriptures and other doctrines to support their argument. They also point out the fallacies within the other’s debate.

As I read these discourses I began to realize that these men stand firmly in their beliefs that I don’t think either one could be persuaded to the other side. And I personally believe that they understood that. Although it almost seems like Luther was about to switch sides at the beginning of his discourse when he said,

“I concede to you openly, a thing I have never done before, that you not only surpass me by far in literary prowess and intellectuality… but that you have in two ways also dampened my spirits and impetuousness, and slackened my strength before the battle began.”

Reading those words, I thought that Luther might be seeing Luther’s point in all of this, but then he goes on to say,

“For although you write wrongly concerning free will, I owe you no small thanks, because you have confirmed my own view. Seeing the case for free will argued with such great talents, yet leaving it worse than it was before, is an evident proof that free will is a downright lie.”

This leads me to believe that even though they addressed their discourses to one another, their real audience was the public. They knew they couldn't convince one another so they tried to convince the common people, who must have been confused during such a time, of the accuracy of their own points of view. Both used great logic, philosophy and the scriptures to back up their arguments so it all comes down to how one really wants to interpret the evidence presented.
I feel as though I have learned much from the two of them. Not only on free will but also on how to properly argue a point. I hope we can all learn from these great men and these wonderful works of literature that they have left behind.


Erasmus, Desiderius; Luther, Martin (2013-06-20). Discourse on Free Will (Bloomsbury Revelations) (Kindle Locations 1702-1705). Bloomsbury Publishing. Kindle Edition.

1 comment:

  1. Do you ever wonder if men will be persuaded to the other side? At what point do you think people in history do you think people refused to back down, simply because they had already sacrificed so much. I wonder if Martin Luther or John Calvin ever felt that way. What if either of those men saw something new and changed their minds? How would history have changed then!?!?

    ReplyDelete