Saturday, January 17, 2015

Of Expressive and Meditative Personalities

I know, experimentally, the disposition of nature so impatient of tedious and elaborate premeditation, that if it do not go frankly and gaily to work, it can perform nothing to purpose.

The above quote describes a main feature of Mantaigne's essay "Of Quick or Slow Speech." The article debates where different types of speakers should be placed in society. For example, he argues that preachers should be slow speakers, since they would have time to mediate what they would say. He provides another example, where he argues that those of the courtroom should be quick speakers, since they will have to respond to interruptions more.

To fully communicate one's ideas, which personality would be better? The gift of quick speech was highly valued in the Renaissance. Castiglione, who wrote The Book of the Courtier, came up with the term Sprezzatura, which is the skill of making others feel that what one does or say is done without any effort. The art of Sprezzatura could (and I would argue still does) allow people to create a strong impression of themselves, which will allow them to better persuade others to their expressed ideas.
This same idea is seen today by at least some degree. I know that this skill is used by many in job interviews to make themselves seem more qualified. However, in addition to creating a self-image, quick speech can allow us to make a difference in the world, a world where it is "the disposition of nature" to be "impatient of tedious and elaborate premeditation." Without quick speech, much would be left undone.

On the other hand I feel that the slow speaker, or the deep thinking introvert if I may call him or her, has a very useful purpose in this world. I myself probably fall more so into this category, as I often premeditate many of my thoughts and responses before speaking. I remember one time I was with a friend who had a very talkative personality. My friend and I were talking to someone else, and while my friend excitedly continued the conversation, I noticed that this person had tears in their eyes. Afterwards I talked to my friend about this and said that he had not noticed. Later we found out that this individual was going through something difficult in their life. In general, I feel that the art of the quick speech can be useful in many situations, but if one does not take time to be quiet and listen, one will not be able to see certain important things that introvert might be more inclined to notice.

1 comment:

  1. I think this concept is related to the idea of information overload we have touched on in class. The extroverted communication model is more tended towards saying a lot and having to sift through to find the gold, while the introverted method generates less information, but a more refined quality of the information it does produce. If there is too much extroversion and not enough introspection, relationships and communications become hollow (a lot like on social media). I feel like the two need to be balanced. Extroverted communication to establish communication and friendships, introspection and extra thought to sustain them.

    ReplyDelete