Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Wheels That Forge

My journey was inspired by my good Boy Scout and young men’s leaders.  It was the epic journey that would turn little “squeakin’ deacons,” teachers and priests into men.  The expedition was preceded by many days and months of training rides; rides that made us question if we really were going to be able to complete the high adventure when that fateful week arrived.  When it did arrive, we were shipped off to northern California and placed ourselves in the hands of a higher power. 

With our prayers offered we began the tough four day 250 mile bike ride from Redding, California west to the Lost Coast.  I remember all of that trip, because it was burned into my mind as we went from desert 115 degree weather into the lush redwood forests in the coastal mountains.  Beauty can be described and depicted in many ways, but the greatest is the natural beauty of our God’s creations.  I was greatly impressed by the magnitude and height of the trees.  As much as I was astounded by the forest, I was in awe of the stark contrasts between desert, forest and ocean.  It gave me a lot of things to contemplate as I rode.

On that bicycle trip, I was able to gain new perspective of the earth and a greater appreciation for the handiwork of God.  A little over a year later, I began a very personal journey to find out if God really existed and if the Church of Jesus Christ was true.  I know that this expedition proved more than just a bike ride and I was able to begin my true exploration for identity; and eventually, find it.

3 comments:

  1. I think doing a long bike ride like that would be really neat. My grew up in California and did a similar ride when he was a scout.

    I liked your description of the experience and how it may you think inward. While I have never been on a long biker ride, I do enjoy taking long trips in my car and seeing the sights surrounding me. But I definitely feel that any time that is spent away from the city help give us quiet time to contemplate important things. Joseph Smith is an example of this, when he left his farm and went to the woods to pray. I think of all of us can benefit from taking time every once in a while to enjoy nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how nature has a way of turning our thoughts to God. I read an article once describing different learning styles and how they influence the way we build our testimonies. One of the listed ones was learning through nature. It's so important we explore all life has to offer. Otherwise, we might miss great learning opportunities. Great insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its fascinating that nature has such power to evoke the spiritual within us. I too have seen the power of nature in pushing me closer to God. I oftentimes wonder what is it about the outdoors that causes such a connection.

    ReplyDelete