Friday, January 16, 2015

Apology for the Dusty Books

"...we should applaud...an appetite to read more..."  - Montaigne


When was the last time you read a book? When was the last time you sat down in a big comfy chair, grabbed a good book, and simply read for the love of reading? Perhaps it's just me but I all too often realize that I don't read. Being a student, I carefully configure my time to ensure I can complete assigned reading done for classes that by the time I have minutes to spare, the last thing I want to do is read and studies show that America is not far behind me. In the last year, it is estimated that less than 50% of Americans read a book in 2014 for pleasure. Instead, Americans spend their time in the virtual world of screens. Today, American homes have more TVs than family members and TVs are one for nearly a third of the day. 

During the age of the Renaissance, individuals relied on reading to obtain knowledge and books became receptacles of learning and wisdom. As people began gaining an education, a desire for light and knowledge began to grow and people had a desire to read. Reading provides an escape from the troubles of the real world. English philosopher John Locke stated, “Reading furnishes the mind only with materials of knowledge.” However, the Renaissance could not last forever and people began putting down the books and picking up the electronics. Why pick up a book when I have a smart phone?

The development of electronics has vastly improved society. Communication is no longer restricted to the pen and paper. Technology allows ones ideas to reach all across the globe. Ideas can be shared not only in novels but on social media, television, advertisements, and more. Instead of using books to obtain knowledge, individuals can easily turn to the internet and find the information in a fraction of the time. Yet, as I look up from my computer and star at the books on my shelf, I can’t help but wonder about the stories they hold and the wisdom they wait to teach, I just need to find the pleasure in reading them. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I somehow deleted my comment... Here it is again: In this I see a few reminiscent themes from the Renaissance. I think the most obvious for me initially is ad fontes, but I think you're hitting on the 'moveable type: printing's cultural impression' as well. I like the thought of cultural impression, because printing's cultural impression and influence shrinks more and more with every generation. We may be doomed. I think your post articulates that idea, and its absence in our society, quite well.

      Delete