Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Neverland


Just as Peter Pan and the lost boys have magical adventures in Neverland, I seem to have found my own Neverland in my home town--Idaho Falls. This particular occasion, though, takes me all the way into the country (about 5 minutes from home). 

Drive 7 miles outside of town, turn left, and curve around the potato field. On your left you will see a large wheat field owned by Mr. Williams. Climb out of the car and start walking to the East, up the dirt road, and past the farm house. As  you pass the front yard you will come to a bridge with lanterns spaced every three feet. Continue over the planks of wood and down the stairs, but be careful not to trip. Once you go down, you'll being hearing a stream and everything is dark. Once you see (or feel, if it is really dark) the tree trunk to your right, start climbing--you'll find hand holds and foot pegs as you feel around. You could stop on the first floor, but the second and fourth floors are my favorite. From the second floor you can climb onto a hammock and see a picture frame view of rolling hills covered with wheat and the moon just cresting the tops of distant trees. The fourth floor is enveloped in the leaves, but if you are quiet you can still hear the stream rushing below. Dangling from ever branch are sea shells and pieces of glass that shimmer in the moonlight. 

This is one of my most treasured discoveries. When I think about this time, I think about the need that we all have to take time to see the Neverland around us. There is beauty all around, if we only take the time to look. I will always take the time to look at a field of wheat, a beautiful mountain, or even my own breath in a cold winter's morning.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds just like the treehouse the lost boys live in... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this sounds awesome. I may have found a new bucket list item. It's a unique thing to try to imagine the possibility of the existence of these sorts of magical locations everywhere. I'm sure someone has a place like this somewhere in Provo. And I'll probably never find it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that what makes places like these magical is how untouched by people they are, or how you can really be alone (individually or as a group) at these places.

    ReplyDelete