Tuesday, January 13, 2015

An Unexpected Rattlesnake... I mean lesson

There it was, Mt. Olympus: a nearing 10,000 foot vertical climb. Hiking that mountain was something that I personally vowed never to do, until a friendly challenged irked my pride and I found myself standing at the base ready to ascend to the summit. My distaste for hiking had never been more evident than in that moment in which I hoped for at least a great view and a memorable experience with a friend once I had reached the top. Although these thoughts were what I assumed to be my only fleeting chances at having any type of positive experiences from this vertical climb, I ended up being presently surprised.


            The view at the top was spectacular, putting my world in which I grew up in (the Salt Lake Valley) into a seemingly small sphere of view. Because of the steepness of the mountain I was nearly forced to run down the path as my friend and I made our decent. Nearly halfway down as I attempted to try and keep my pace at a slight jog I heard a gut wrenching sound. “Stop! Don’t come any further!” I yelled back at my companion as he was a little ways behind me, “I just heard a rattlesnake in the bushes!” My friend, not native to Utah, ignored my warning and proceeded down the path towards me. Just as he did a rattlesnake came right out of the bushes and onto the path. Luckily we both escaped unharmed, but if the timing had been just a few seconds different one or both of us could have been bitten, and left with possibly fatal wounds as medical contact and help was hours out of reach. This experience left me thinking about how vulnerable I was (and all those who face potentially deadly situations) by not having any chance of getting to aid in time. I never have been more grateful for emergency services, and close by hospitals than I am now. They are truly a great safety for us all.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it a wonder that people and villages and entire civilizations, without medical technology learned to submit themselves to dangers like poisonous snakes for centuries before us? If they could live without hospitals, then we have got to be tougher than we think we are as well.

    ReplyDelete