Saturday, January 17, 2015

Of Facebook

In Montaigne’s Of the Cannibals, he argues that cannibals, without Christianity and civilization, were just as advanced as Western Europeans. This was seems quite shocking because these "savages" didn't even know about such important things like, math, reading and writing and other basic skills that most elementary children are taught. Instead, they relied on their basic instincts and the laws of nature to govern their society and it worked. 

Now for Europeans at this time it seemed impossible to live without things like, fine clothing, wealth, precious medals and education. During the dark ages, many of these things were lost but thanks to the renaissance they were rediscovered and now seemed essential to life. People without these things were considered savages and were greatly looked down upon. 

In many ways our society is like the Europeans' at this time. It now seems like it's super important and essential to have a nice tv, a smartphone, a laptop, Facebook and other entertainment devices. And don't get me wrong, these are important thing but when they dominate and control our lives they become a problem. For the longest time, I didn't have a Facebook because I didn't really see the value in it. And every time I told someone that I didn't have one they looked at me like I was some kind of freak. I don't think they realized that life was possible without it. I eventually ended up getting one because I was sick of peoples' responses when they found out that I didn't have one. But in many ways, I wish that I hadn't got one because I feel like I've lost a personal connection with many of friends. Now instead of calling a friend up to see how they are doing I just check Facebook. 

I think that this was one of the key elements of Montaigne's argument is that many things that seem essential to our lives aren't really that important and that we can easily live without them. Also that we should worry more about those around us instead of less important things like Facebook. 

2 comments:

  1. This is really good. The irony is interesting- Facebook and other social media channels keep us in touch with people, but the communication is rarely two-way. It results in us being aware, but not involved with those who are close to us. Good points, Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's true. Prioritization has played an important role in the development of civilizations throughout history. Whether we are choosing our mode of communication or use of our time the ability to prioritize effectively has a direct impact on our development. Looking at the foundation of the United States we had a perfect example of that need. James Madison and the other founding fathers had come to an impasse in their negotiations and were required to place the greater priority of forming an operational government before their individual wants for that government. They had had to give up something for something better. That, I believe, is a reflection of our need to prioritize; just as with something as simple as Facebook.

    ReplyDelete