Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Absalom, Absalom!

At 17-years-old, I embarked on my senior year AP English class with Mr. Stachura.  English was my favorite subject, but I was thrown for a bit of a loop when we
started reading William Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom! - a novel          
set in the 19th century about the moral crises that destroyed the
South. Mr. Stachura warned us that this was a very advanced level
book - one that a lot of college students wouldn't even dare to read. Most of Mr. Stachura's colleagues would laugh when he told them
his high school students were reading Faulkner. Needless to say,
our senior English class was a little nervous.

I started reading the novel and didn't understand a word. It only made sense when we went over the chapter in class together. I decided to get the book on CD. I listened to it throughout the day, and in the car on my 30 minute drive to and from school every day. Slowly, day after day, week after week, I started to make sense of Faulkner's words. About halfway through the book, it clicked. I realized I could understand the chapters on my own, and I didn't rely on class time to explain what we had read.

As we neared the end of our Faulkner unit, I found myself eating up the end of the book, and writing analytical essays about this literary classic. Reading a work of such an advanced level, and even being able to write about it, left me with a huge feeling of satisfaction with my 17-year-old self. I dove right into this book and discovered that I could push my young mind to a higher scholarly level. I was thinking at a more advanced academic level. Not only could I think at that level, but I realized it felt good to push my mind to think that hard. It was making me a better student and a better person. I was able to read about and understand Faulkner's deep and conceptual themes like race, morality, incest, love, and hatred, and I learned from them. I explored the deep waters of Absalom, Absalom! and found that I could keep my head above it.


2 comments:

  1. Faulkner is a really interesting writer- I remember reading "As I lay Dying" in high school, but I didn't put as much effort int understanding it (although "My mother is a fish" is a classic line/chapter to be sure) and so I didn't have quite the same experience. It's great that you were able to look a the book from a different medium and get something out of it! That's important because not only did you get a new understanding from the book but when you succeed like that similar challenges can be approached with more confidence, which I believe makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience reading many of the middle age texts in this class mirrors your experience. I have no idea what they are saying until halfway through the work and then it begins to click. I wonder if that is why the church encourages reading the scriptures from such an early age, namely that of being able to understand them once you are old enough to really need them.

    ReplyDelete