Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Getting on the Roller Coaster

One of the greatest vacations I remember from my years in elementary school was going to Disneyland with my family. I had seen the TV commercials and heard stories from my friends many times, so when my parents sprang the news on us, we were ecstatic! I soon realized, however, that I had a slight problem. I had never ridden a roller coaster and the large structure terrified me, especially California Screamin'.

Up to this point I had tried other thrill rides with some apprehension but not enough to dissuade me from getting on. I waited in line with my older sister, younger brother, and older cousin (who was watching us at the time) until we reached the station. They all quickly jumped in but I stayed behind and waited the long three minutes for them to return. The line was short so we made it to the front of the line again and I decided to not get on again.

For the next day or so I felt a conflict between fear of riding the roller coaster and desire to try something new and exciting. The third opportunity soon presented itself to me when we returned to California Screamin' now with other members of the family group. This time I kept my mind distracted until the security vests came down. The only thing I could think in those seconds before they shot us up the first hill was, "Oh no, what have I done?" I didn't get a new perspective on my surroundings, but afterwards I realized that I could overcome fears and that doing so is actually very enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean when you say, "Oh no. What have I done?" I felt liek that my first time on California Screamin' too. But I also know what it feels like to say that to yourself during life as well. When I tried out for the baseball team at a community college the coach had us run Diamonds, which was a about 300 meter sprint, until we did it with in a certain time. After about 5 in a row I was asking myself, "Oh no! what have I done?" Many times in my life, at least, I have committed to do some really cool things and then wondered if I could actually do them. I think we should have more faith in ourselves. If we did, I think a lot about the world would be different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so interesting how much we miss out on in this life because we are simply to afraid to try. And whats worst is we never miss some of the best things in life only because we don't know they are there. I know that some of my favorite pastimes were initially terrifying to me.

    ReplyDelete