Tuesday, January 13, 2015

How a California Kid Began to Appreciate the Rain/Snow!

When I was 17, I was invited on a 4-day trip to hike Mt. Whitney in California. Mt. Whitney’s elevation is 14,505', which is one of the tallest peaks to climb in the United States. I thought to myself what an accomplishment that would be if I was able to summit that mountain. I loved to hike, and I had been on many previous hikes, but none to that length and difficulty. I accepted the challenge, knowing that it was spread across 4 days so I would be able to handle it with ease.

As I began the journey, I felt great and had extreme confidence I would make it to the first campsite in no time. It began to rain shortly after, and it rained hard. Wind was also a factor as we got soaked and everything we brought with us was wet as well. I started to get feelings of quit and doubt that I wanted to complete this hike. I could easily hike back to the car in a couple hours. Then I realized, when would I ever get this opportunity again?

Once I started to become humble and appreciate this challenge, my World changed. I was in an environment that I may never see again. It was a beautiful hike with lakes, all sorts of vegetation, and wildlife. Rain was part of nature. I began to appreciate that too, because even though it affected me in a negative way, it affected everything around me in a positive way. I had a lot of time to think on that hike, and it made me realize that I would not be on this hike if nature didn't exist. There would be no mountain to climb, or lakes to swim in, trees to climb, etc. By the time I reached the top, my new appreciation for nature and the outdoors was solidified. The view was worth the struggle, and now every time it rains or snows, and I begin to feel depressed, I remember that hike and why we need nature to live.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed. That was deep. Personally I hate snow. No, I loathe it with the fiery passion of a thousand flaming suns. I would be happy to never see it again. But you bring up an incredible point, those things we sometimes hate bring us the things that mean the most to us.

    ReplyDelete