Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Some Days You are the Pigeon . . . Others the Statue

As I read St. Augustine's sermon, I was reminded of this poster. (Specifically as I analyzed the various audiences addressed throughout.) Sometimes, Augustine is talking to the servant, other times the master, and yet in the end he is talking to everyone throughout the whole sermon because we all, at one time or another, find ourselves playing the role of servant or master (we even fulfill these roles simultaneously, much how we can be a child, parent, and sibling all at the same time). This really is a beautiful correlation to religion and how it is designed to be for ALL of us. In regards to audience, Augustine did an excellent job of making his sermon applicable to everyone at any stage of their life. We can be the one needing forgiveness and the one giving forgiveness in the same moment. In this effort to apply to everyone, I felt that the whole style was relatively low and focused on teaching.

The part I liked best in the sermon is where Augustine teaches us how to identify the enemy in paragraph 7. All mankind is "our brother" so he would appear to contradict himself in that section. What would happen if you pray for your enemy to be killed and your brother spared if they are the same person? As I read, I interpreted this to mean that the enemy is an action or feeling. the enemy is a part of the person, not the whole individual. I'm not sure if this is a correct interpretation, but it added insight to the Christian theme of all necessitating forgiveness and opportunity to forgive (even those whom we can't readily perceive as our "brothers").

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your interpretation of paragraph seven. I had similar thoughts when I was reading it; thinking that Augustine was mistaken because Jesus said to love our enemies. And then I realized something similar to what you did. The "enemy" Augustine refers to is the wrongs someone does and the brother is the person. Great post and good insights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that paragraph seven is of particular interest. If all mankind is family, then how can someone kill an "enemy?" Whether it be fratricide, familicide, or whatever, killing an enemy is one of those crimes. Instead, as you pointed out, the enemy can be an action or feeling, not the individual him/herself. This enables a person to still love their enemy as their brother or sister, but attack the conflict within them. I thought that this was a very clever interpretation, and I also must agree that the notion does give off a Christian feel to me. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your post! I love when Augustine says "Certainly pray that the Lord may kill your enemy, but also pray that He may spare your brother." The people around us are our brothers, but the wrongdoings are our enemies. Augustine pulls the juxtaposition between brother and enemy in order to highlight the love for our brother but also the hatred to the enemy. Although the message here seems to contradict having love for our brothers even if they do not seek forgiveness for their wrongdoings, in reality, Augustine just wants God to destroy the sins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your post! I love when Augustine says "Certainly pray that the Lord may kill your enemy, but also pray that He may spare your brother." The people around us are our brothers, but the wrongdoings are our enemies. Augustine pulls the juxtaposition between brother and enemy in order to highlight the love for our brother but also the hatred to the enemy. Although the message here seems to contradict having love for our brothers even if they do not seek forgiveness for their wrongdoings, in reality, Augustine just wants God to destroy the sins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that what he says about our enemies is too outlandish. Look at what Nephi says in 2 Nephi 4:33 "and hedge not up my way, but the ways of mine enemy." As macey said, perhaps "ways" are the actions of our "enemies", but it could also be not so figurative, but literally to block the way of our enemies. I guess it would be an interesting point to consider if we take it literally or figuratively...

    ReplyDelete