Tuesday, November 25, 2014

At Last, to Slumber!

The smooth silk sways [Alliteration] my desires to sleep.  Oh how I have missed you [Apostrophe], the Silent Night(s)! The silence and the sleep somehow always seem to escape from my reach [Ethopoeia/Personification] each night. What must one man do to find such rest? Why must it be so difficult to sleep in peace [Epiplexis]? Who is to blame and to whom must I proclaim? But wait! At last, the Silent Night(s) have returned [Ethopoeia]. Like the wind sets sails to the voyager, you send sanity to my soul [Simile].

It has been far too long, far too few of nights where I have found true slumber. In truth, to slumber is next to impossible in this “college-life” [Hyperbole]. So how grateful I am to have finally found it. For this week, starting tonight, I will sleep like a baby [Maxim/Proverb] once more. I speak of the silent nights in which the night slumbers [Metaphorical use of Verbs] along with you. No sound, no stress, no midnight spars [systrophe].


At last I have found the week of slumber.  Grateful indeed, I am [anastrophe]. For this week there will be no stereo, no yelling, no late night in-door basketball playing; no noise. This week Silent Night(s) will love me and I her [Subjectio]. I cannot wait to beginnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

2 comments:

  1. Very creative, and truthful post. I couldn't agree more, or be more thankful. I did my post around an apostrophe to the thanksgiving feast and how it reminds me of all the many blessings I have. I wish I would have read your post before I finished up my writing, because I feel you have done a great job in humanizing your early object in your use of an apostrophe, by your other effective uses of amplification. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proof that rhetorical figures create humor! I laughed out loud when I read "Silent Night" (periphrasis).

    ReplyDelete