Saturday, November 15, 2014

Psalms 119:105 Use of a Simile

In Psalms 119:105, the author uses a simile to help convey his message "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light into my path."

Psalms is a compilation of different songs that are praises to the Lord. Songs often use figurative language to help the listener get a certain image or idea in their mind. By giving a certain image and the idea to the listener, it helps them understand the deeper and underlying message and theme of the song. This verse does the exact thing it is intended to do. It gives you an image of a light showing the path that would have otherwise been hard or invisible to see. As you think more about the image, you start to think of the deeper meaning and how the two objects being compared relate. That is when you get the most out of reading passages in the scriptures, and the figurative idea that the author was portraying from the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Brooke, I really liked your analysis of the comparison made between God's word and light and how it shows you the path you should take. I think that this comparison might be considered a metaphor though since it states that his word is a lamp and not like a lamp. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always enjoyed this scripture myself and I am glad to see that you chose to write about it. I agree with Hailee that the metaphor within is distinct. Also, what other forms of rhetoric can you find in this verse? I would say that if you reviewed it you would be successful in finding at least one other (think comparison perhaps).

    ReplyDelete