Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Oh hot hub, the resplendent.

Oh marvelous hot tub, what thanks is due to you [apostrophe]! For you, oh warm basin, [paraphrasis] melt my stress as the warm like the resplendent sun melteth the bitter snow [simile]. How could I resist your warm embrace? I cannot. How often have I visited your soothing borders? Every night this week. Do I plan to cease in my visitation? I certainly do not [anthypophora]. Your only description is delightful! Wonderful! Sublime [ecphonesis]! Though I spend weeks within you I have no wish to leave. [hyperbole] Oh hot tub, with your billowing beautiful bubbles [alliteration] and your soothing simmer of steam. The subtle splish-splash [onomatopoeia] of the water can sweep away my every care. You are my gentle care taker whose skillful hands remedy my soreness daily [personification]. Heed not those who say you are a but a luxury, [affirmatio] No, you are essence of relaxation [corrtectio]. Calls me either with warmth or relation [epizeugma]. Traps with the peaceful soothing. I do not mind your subjugation, for within your waters I am a king [antithesis] In your waters my tears dry [paradox]. I know I cannot repay your services, but I thank you for your warm hospitality in this inhospitable cold [eucharistia]. 


2 comments:

  1. Great use of lesser known rhetorical devices. You obviously did your research. I too, think that hot tubs are quite resplendent. By the way, you said Hot Hubs in your title; you might want to change that. Eucharistia was an uncommon device to use but it fits quite well here. Great topic and great execution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that! I agree with the post and I agree with Katie's comment. I was impressed to find your use of ecphonesis. I hadn't realized that it was a rhetorical device but why would I think otherwise? ha. Among the most intriguing parts for me in your post was your paradox. I am learning more and more the power of paradox. When it is used in a correct way (like it was used in your post) it causes the reader to pause, think about what was said, then evaluate to decide if it is accurate in their lives and how so. I agree completely with your paradox! Very clever.

    ReplyDelete