Monday, September 8, 2014

Lessons from a Lawyer

Thinking about what to write, I remembered that my girlfriend is a sociology major fascinated with ancient Greece.  Additionally, she is planning on going to law school, so I decided to search into ancient Greek law, as the entire culture is now a part of myself.
 
Starting off, the ancient Greeks had no true laws.  In the case of a murder, however, the family of the victim could go and take revenge.   In the seventh century BC, exile became punishment for murder.  Isn't it interesting how the democracy we use today is based off of such a culture?

3 comments:

  1. Today our government was largely inspired by the practices of ancient Greece, yet I often wonder how similar our two forms of government really are. There are obvious differences in the two systems, but I wonder if any of the underlying beliefs and core values that are completely different then they were thousands of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm that would be an interesting way to do things. I guess exile would save them money with prisons, but how do they keep them exiled? Are they branded or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is it that the Greeks had "no true laws"? As I skimmed the link it appeared like there were many laws.

    ReplyDelete