Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Always good for a laugh

Comedy helps to convey messages.

In drama, when mimesis is used to juxtapose two different ideas, the result is comedy. 

One of my favorite lines in Hecuba was from Agamemnon, when he basically says,

"I'm not a prophet. You have to tell me what's wrong with you."

Hecuba kept going on about her own feelings as if she hadn't noticed. People laughed. We all saw the not-so-subtle message about the different ways the two genders think about things. Throughout the play, Agamemnon acts as that opposition to Hecuba and the Trojan women. Most everything he says is blunt and logical--and brought a laugh from the audience. Even when it was about Polydorus, the dead boy strewn on stage, the audience laughed.

"Who is this dead boy in front of me? What's going on, Hecuba, who is this?"

Public speaking also includes comedy (contrasting logos) to convey messages. Even formal rhetorical speeches do. Like Elder Holland's talk from this April's General Conference, for example. Elder Holland tells a story of a sister missionary who met an unfriendly man and ended up getting mashed potatoes thrown at her head. "Sometimes," he quoted, "it is hard being a missionary because right then I wanted to go back, grab that little man, and say, ‘EXCUSE ME!' But I didn't." And the congregation laughed.

Elder Holland was making a serious point--that we need to represent the Church and patiently bear persecution. But the story he told presented a contrast between the reality of persecution and the reality of human frustration. That produced humor. Thus, he conveyed his message: most everyone would be angry about getting mashed potatoes in their hair, but to be disciples of Christ, we must take even that with patience and civility.

Watch this awesome video for a modern example of this.



2 comments:

  1. I think the comedic moments of Hecuba definitely kept me interested, and I can usually remember the funny stories that I hear in General Conference talks or talks from Church on Sunday. I agree with you that we appreciate the comedy when it comes out of a contrasting situation. It is relieving to laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The surprising thing about Hecuba is that even though it is full of pain and sorrow, the play itself was actually considered a comedy by the Greeks because it ended "happily". It seems a bit twisted considering the dark nature of the play, but that's how the Greeks thought. I was surprised when I read the playbill and saw all of the tragic things that happened to Hecuba, but I think the comedy kept the audience more engaged in the play than it would have without. That is a very valid point that you pointed out. :)

    ReplyDelete