Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Convincing Us that We're Suffering?

The prompt for today asked us to show how logos in Euripides’s plays can show the human condition and natural suffering as well as a means of persuasion. I wasn't able to go to the play because I had class, but I was able to find a video of another of Euripides plays online. I watched “Medea.” As I thought about our prompt and watched this play, my first thought was that Euripides does a good job of morphing the two kinds of logos. He is quite persuasive in convincing the audience of the suffering that the characters feel. In a way, If I had been seeing this in person, it may have been even more powerful in persuading me that suffering is the only thing that can come of life. Luckily, I'm more sensible than that.
Medea goes to poison Glauce to gain revenge on her husband

The medium that Euripides used, that of a play, allowed for convincing acting and a severe portrayal of suffering. Within the first five minutes of the play, there was complaining, lamenting, and crying. The actors and actresses used their words as well as their actions to create an environment of distress. This could only have been accomplished with this medium.
The content of this play itself encourages the thought that pain and suffering are inevitable. Medea’s husband wants to leave her, the scandal ruins her family and she is exiled, she plots revenge on her husband (by killing her children…? A bit irrational, don’t you think?), and in the end there is a lot of death and sadness.

Initially, I thought that the different forms of logos would be competing. Ultimately, the union of drama and the human condition was enhanced and made more persuasive through the words and acts of these characters.

1 comment:

  1. It's pretty amazing how much the expression of emotion from others can influence us. We kind of talked about similar things in our posts, I mentioned that even something as small as a smile can influence how another person feels... Imagine how much acting and emphasizing tragedy through lamenting and moaning can influence someone's attitude. Maybe having outlets where they could express emotions in such a dramatic way made up for a lacking of spirituality that we have as members of the church. I know that without my religion I would do things that are waaay more irrational than the mistakes I make now.

    ReplyDelete