Tuesday, September 16, 2014

If... Then...

If a foundation of truth can be created for any argument, the orator need only build logical extensions from that already excepted assumption, and the audience will more than likely accept the thesis.

We see this masterfully implemented in Gorgias’ speech. At the beginning of his narration, he establishes a key logical element that plays a major role in his reaching his conclusion. He asserts, “…the will of a god cannot be hindered by human forethought. For it is not natural for the superior to be hindered by the inferior, but for the inferior to be ruled and led by the superior--for the superior to lead and the inferior to follow.” If the audience accepts this idea, then the conclusion that Helen cannot not be held accountable for her actions because the weaker human will inside her was overpowered by the superiority of the god of Love is entirely valid. A large part of his argument hinges on that one underlying assumption -- a bold but risky strategy.




In my own life, I have been persuaded by similarly structured arguments. A little more than a year ago, I faced a difficult decision. I had been accepted into both the ISYS and accounting majors at the Marriot School of Management. I much prefer the ISYS subject matter, but the accounting program holds much more prestige. I decided to consult my dad on the matter. He asked me about my end goal, and replied that I wanted to get into an upper management position of a company. 
He explained that if I want to be an executive, than I need to do accounting. Accounting is the language of business, with which I will acquire a competitive advantage that the ISYS program simply could not provide. His is-then logic was irrefutable as long as the initial condition holds. This manner of logos employment is powerful but potentially risky.

2 comments:

  1. This is what I noticed about Gorgias' argument, too, and it works into Socrates' words that we studied, as well. Like Socrates defined different terms to prove his point, Gorgias defined Love as not an emotional force, but as the god. That is a much more powerful argument for Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Gorgias uses "if-then" convincingly, but I believe that he does so hypocritically. He blames persuasion for all of Helen's crimes, but then uses persuasion to do so. This, I feel, makes his argument less convincing, at least to me.

    ReplyDelete