Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Small and Simple Things

“… by small and simple things, are great things brought to pass.” (Alma 37:6-7)

As you can all see, I am one of the last blog posters of the night to get this assignment complete on time. This is due to the fact that I just spent two hours in the Finance club where we learned about the different groups we can join to compete in the cut throat world of finance. There were representatives for investment banking, corporate finance, networking, marketing, and financial consulting. Each group got up to present their importance and made a fancy pitch as to why their group was the best option and how we would become very wealthy and successful. 

Ironically, it wasn’t the big elegant speeches that drew my attention. It were the two pictures of New York City and the picture of Goldman Sachs that got my heart pumping. As I saw these pictures and thought of all of the ambitions that I have had all my life, I knew that corporate finance was the group for me. 



Gorgias teaches us “…for if all people possessed memory concerning all things past, and awareness of all things present, and foreknowledge of all things to come, discourse would not be similarly similar”. He mentions this as he discusses the possibility of Helen being deceived by a discourse to commit something that would eventually lead to the Trojan War. Isn’t that interesting though? Really, if we had a perfect knowledge of all things in the past and all things to come, what would the point of life be? I think that’s the reason why I got an adrenaline rush sitting in the Tanner building as I watched these presentations. There are endless possibilities in the future. Though Gorgias wasn’t directly addressing this point, the hope for a better world and future is what caught my attention. 

3 comments:

  1. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I think a feeling must equal a hundred thousand (or at least it takes that many words to explain feelings). I like what you said about the picture causing you to reflect. Because they played to your desires and your ambitions they needed very little persuading, you persuaded yourself. I think it would be sort of the same thing when someone is going to buy a really nice car that they wanted and the salesman just hands him the key to test drive it. The buyer ends up persuading himself because of his own desires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that interesting--that by playing on the smallest desires, great persuasion can take place. This reminds me of 2 Nephi 26:22 "...and [the devil] leadeth them by the neck with a flaxen cord, until he bindeth them with his strond cords forever." Like others have been saying, we all have agency. But by giving in to little persuasions one at a time, we end up in big trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was drawn to the picture of the Now York City skyline with the two towers of light. It was truly a power picture. I honestly don't know why it impacts me so much, but I was moved by those beams of light. I think the power of this picture is in one's individual interpretation.

    ReplyDelete