Friday, September 26, 2014

Don't Cry for Me Athens

Historical Happenings

Thucydides intent for writing this history of Pericles’ Funeral Oration was to prevent future mistakes from occurring again.  He was concerned with accuracy and only recorded events that he had seen personally or had heard the perspectives of many in relation to that event.  He was concerned with recording that which was closest to be reality.  Although what a speaker may have said could be biased, Thucydides wanted the history to be what the speaker had actually spoken.  It seems that Thucydides was starting the process of making histories and trying to make sense of the differing opinions of many to help those in the future.

Establishing Ethos

Pericles speech caught me off guard a little.  He speaks much of the city in the beginning and not of the fallen soldiers.  He spends the majority of the speech reflecting on the grandeur of the city.  But as he speaks of the city he builds up the pride of those in the audience who pertain to this remarkable city.  This is one way that he begins to gain ethos.  Who doesn’t like to hear something good about himself?  Then he uses the city to connect to the soldiers.  It was their knowledge of the importance of this city that gave them courage. 


Pericles' Philosophy

But was Pericles doing what was morally correct while he praised Athens and its inhabitants?  He uses their emotions to encourage them to have more children.  Doesn’t that seem a little out of place for a eulogy?  I would say that Pericles was a Sophist because he wasn’t focused on the morals of the war but in encouraging them to be superior.  I disagree with Alexander that Pericles was seeking for truth because his “truth” seemed very biased to the side of Athens.  We have to consider both sides to arrive at truth.  When it comes down to it, killing may not be what is morally correct.   

3 comments:

  1. As I was reading the article for this post, I do remember the part pertaining to the way "history" was recorded. Almost without exception, history was told by the "winners," so the story was slanted to say the least. Going along with your first section of this post, as I was reading Pericles' Funeral Oration, there were several times when I felt myself cringe a little. I recoiled from the instances where Pericles talked about loss and imperfection, particularly with past battles. "That's odd to include in the speech," I thought, but the kicking out of my comfort zone was a good change. In this way, Thucydides did in fact get one step closer to true history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very intrigued by your historical section of the blog post. I found it very interesting how you felt that Thucydides was trying to get the most accurate and exact account of oral speeches given to help us, people in the future, understand exactly what was going on. I know in high school when we would analyze books and try to figure out what exactly the author meant, I was always frustrated because I felt like the author should be clear and say exactly what they meant. It would make sense that Thucydides was trying to make an account that is very clear to help shed light, and make it easier for us in modern times to know exactly what it would have been like when he was alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was caught off guard at first too because he was supposed to be delivering some sort of eulogy but it didn't sound like a speech for a funeral. I also appreciated your comment about Pericles being biased (see my post). But since his audience was in mourning I totally understand why he couldn't just lay down the whole truth without any sugarcoating.

    ReplyDelete