Friday, September 12, 2014

I AM SO LIVID RIGHT NOW!!!!


“I am so livid and angry right now.” 




Now, looking back, I could have calmly made that statement jokingly, with a smile on my face or I could have yelled it with fury as I simultaneously punched my neighbor in the arm. What both Elder Bednar and Socrates understand is that the way one communicates his or herself is crucial. I cannot help but grin as I imagine Gorgias trying to be clever and rhetorical, yet getting circles ran around him by Socrates who knows how to use rhetoric to prove that rhetoric isn’t everything! It’s pure irony and the key is that Socrates knows how to communicate himself. He points at the little things that Gorgias gets tripped up on and exploits them. He is a powerful rhetorician. It’s incredible the way he uses that and ironically enough, it seems to me, he is building ethos there. He is proving himself to be a worthy source who knows what he’s talking about. I would even consider the fact that he is demonstrating kairos because of his impeccable timing and sense of the “when” to communicate himself as he breaks down certain concepts, similar to what Mindee Sharp said. 

Elder Bednar is extremely similar in multiple ways. First, this is a terrific example of epideictic rhetoric as he stands before millions of viewers. One of the first things he says is “I pray that the Holy Ghost will teach and edify us…” as if he is literally calling down the powers of heaven. I believe that this statement has multiple rhetorical appeals, however I think more than anything he understands the setting which is a form of kairos. Also, right off the bat he breaks his speech down to simple concepts which demonstrates logos. He is an overall powerful speaker and though it’s already been said in past posts, I too think that if Elder Bednar and Socrates teamed up, they would be explosive. 

4 comments:

  1. You bring up an interesting point about Socrates using rhetoric to tear down rhetoric. But perhaps that goes to show the importance of rhetoric. Hear me out, if Socrates didn't use rhetoric to attack, his attack would have seemed impotent. But because he used rhetoric he is showing just how powerful and useful it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I really like what you said about Socrates using rhetoric, but I also wonder if what he was using was a little bit of philosophy. Socrates has taken time to ponder and reflect on some of life's finest mysteries. He's taken the time to really come up with his on claims and he's tested these claims and I'm sure he's questioned his own beliefs and has tried them and he really knows what he believes to be true. Like he said, he doesn't care about putting anything to a vote because he could care less if people disagreed with him. Philosophy is breaking concepts of belief, values, and theories down to there smallest fundamental parts and reconstructing them to make sense of the world around us. I don't think you need rhetoric (at least the sophist kind) if you have taken time to know what your ideas are and can ask people questions in a way that enlighten them to the truth of what you are saying

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your comparison with the "I am so livid and angry right now." How many times are things misunderstood when we use social media to communicate? (That question is rhetorical..) I also liked that you recognized how Socrates used rhetoric to argue against rhetoric which is similar to how Elder Bednar communicates to us the importance of communication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is powerful that Socrates uses so much rhetoric in arguing against rhetoric! I especially like the comment that Hailee made above- Elder B. communicates about communication, just like Socrates. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete