Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Did I Miss Something Here?


I was under the impression that Gorgias was trying to defend Helen in what seemed like a court of law. Yet, while he started out well enough, giving Helen ethos and building up sympathetic pathos, I was expecting a lot more logos for an appeal to a court room. He is obviously a skilled rhetorician, but his argument didn't seem to hold much merit when actually analyzed. She was obviously involved in some love affair, and his reason that she is innocent is that she is an innocent girl overcome by a goddess. I wonder if a similar argument would work for someone who murdered someone else. Were they overcome by Ares? Or someone who stole, were they influenced by Hermes? This piece was very aptly named as an “Encomium” is a speech of praise, not one of argument. In my opinion the speech was talking about Helen, not her innocence, but maybe I am just missing an important argument he makes. Does anyone think they can clarify for me?

Anyway, I have quite a few humorous experiences with rhetoric but one that applies the best is probably the time I was babysitting for a little boy and his sister. The boy wanted to do something he wasn't supposed to but he didn’t want to get in trouble by himself. I don't remember exactly what the intended “crime” was, but let's say it was taking another cookie for simplicity’s sake. So as I am sitting right by them he leans over and in a loud whisper says to his sister, "hey let's take a cookie." She protested. "C'mon! It will be fun and we won't get in trouble. Trust me." Then they both look at me guiltily as they start to do whatever it was they weren't supposed to do. I was amazed at how fast this little boy won over his sister. At that moment he was a master rhetorician; he knew his audience wanted a cookie also, he got her emotionally compromised, and he established his ethos by claiming to be trustworthy. However, like Gorgias’ speech, his argument was not very sound; especially since I heard every word.

3 comments:

  1. Good point Courtney, "the God's made me do it" isn't very good logic. Cookies on the other had are a very great form of persuasion. I think its very easy to persuade someone when you know what they want. Just like a car salesman letting someone test drive a nice car. They already want a car (thats why they're at the dealership), all the salesman must do is play to their desires

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pointed out how Gorgias did not have strong logical appeal and that much content. This justifies the claim that persuasion is not always through verbal communication. There are often more ways to persuade people just like the cookie in your example was a main factor in persuading the sister to break the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reading your post I quickly began to think about my life. I have more fully come to realize that if I had to verbally or better said, logically have to prove my case as to why I chose to do some of the things I did I think I would fail miserably. I find it incredible that we claim to be so advanced yet we succumb to some of the most basic feelings and desires of all. Even worse, we agree with and justify those actions as does Gorgias in his speech.

    ReplyDelete