Tuesday, September 16, 2014

insidious persuasion


Gorgias is using logos in his most of his arguments throughout the Encomium of Helen. I feel like the "matter of fact" tone is being played off of his personal reputation and therefore cannot be challenged. Gorgias mentions reasons for why Helen left for Troy, and why the "bodies" of soldiers chased after her. This type of analysis makes the speech judicial in nature because he is analyzing the events of the past.

Last week I attended an event which I had no plans of attending, nor did I want to. However, my roommates asked me to go. I hold these people in high regards and feel some sort of obligation to them. So when they asked me to go -I had no other option. I just had to go. I still cannot pinpoint the necessity of this action. They didn't force me with incentives or logic. Their influence came from the connection I have with them. Which is interesting to me because no amount of incentive or logic could have convinced me. Apparently peer pressure is a                                                                                             stronger force of persuasion than I had                                                                                                     previously thought.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I think peer pressure is a very powerful form of persuasion. Much of peer pressure is less about what we think of others and more of what we want others to think of us. Our own self image (as noted by how Gorgias thought of himself) and the image we will project on others can be really powerful. Peer pressure isn't always a bad thing. In many ways it can be good, but I think the key is understanding yourself and loving yourself enough to make choices because you want to or because you know it will be good for you in the long run. I hope you had a fun time at your event :)

    ReplyDelete